Bisacodyl Nulytely | Colonoscopy Preparation Instructions
To ensure a successful exam, please follow all instructions carefully. Please bring a list of all your current medications, including any over-the-counter medications with you. If you must reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call 503-229-1883.
ONE WEEK BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Please notify our nursing staff if you have had any major health or medication changes since scheduling your procedure. This could affect your preparation instructions.
- Arrange for a licensed adult driver to take you home. By law, you may not drive for the rest of the day after your procedure. Public transportation is allowed with an adult escort.
- Pick up the prescribed bowel preparation kit at your pharmacy. We recommend that you call your pharmacy prior to picking up the prep to ensure they have the prescription.
- If you take any blood thinners, i.e. Coumadin, Plavix, Pradaxa, etc., please call our nursing staff if you have not received special instructions.
- May continue to take regular medications, unless instructed by provider or nursing staff
- May continue to take NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin), Aspirin, and Tylenol, if needed
- Diabetic Patients
- Take ½ a dose the day before your procedure
- No dose the day of the procedure
- Stop Taking
- Iron pills or vitamins with iron
- Fish Oil
- Stop Eating
- Seeds, nuts, tomatoes, berries, breads with seeds or nuts
TWO DAYS BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Take three (3) Bisacodyl (over-the-counter) tablets in the evening.
ONE DAY BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Start clear liquid diet. No solid foods, red or purple liquids, chewing gum, and alcohol.
- Mix bowel prep solution:
- Open flavor packet and pour into the container.
- Fill the container with lukewarm water to the fill line and put into the refrigerator to chill.
- Begin drinking the bowel prep solution around 4:00 – 6:00 pm. Drink 8 oz. every 10-15 minutes until bottle is empty. *Drink the whole glass rapidly. Drinking through a straw may help with the taste. You may also suck on hard candy while drinking the solution.
- DO NOT drink other liquids while drinking bowel prep solution. You may resume clear liquids once bottle is empty.
- DO Not lie down between drinks—It may cause nausea and bloating
- Nausea is common while drinking prep. If this occurs, stop drinking for 30 minutes before restarting. Walking around may help relieve nausea.
- Bowel movements usually occur within 1-2 hours of starting prep. It is recommended to stay near a restroom at this point.
DAY OF COLONOSCOPY
- Continue clear liquid diet–No Solid Food.
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK TWO HOURS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL TIME. NO CHEWING GUM.
- Wear comfortable clothes; two-piece outfit is preferable.
- Leave valuables at home
- Arrive on time at the designated location with completed paperwork, photo ID, and insurance card.
- You must have a responsible adult drive you home. Though they may not remain in the waiting room during the procedure, they will need to be somewhere close by as they will be called to come pick you up once your procedure is finished; which is approximately 90 minutes. If you do not have a ride arranged we will not be able to perform the procedure.