Clenpiq | Colonoscopy Preparation Instructions
To ensure a successful exam, please follow all instructions carefully. Please bring a list of all your current medications, including any over-the-counter medications with you. If you must reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call 503-229-1883.
ONE WEEK BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Please notify our nursing staff if you have had any major health or medication changes since scheduling your procedure. This could affect your preparation instructions.
- Arrange for a licensed adult driver to take you home. By law, you may not drive for the rest of the day after your procedure. Public transportation is allowed with an adult escort.
- Pick up the prescribed bowel preparation kit at your pharmacy. We recommend that you call your pharmacy prior to picking up the prep to ensure they have the prescription.
- Purchase clear pulp-free juices (apple, white grape, white cranberry), sports drinks, broth, popsicles, hard candy, coffee and tea without milk or cream—NO RED or PURPLE Liquids
- If you take any blood thinners, i.e. Coumadin, Plavix, Pradaxa, etc., please call our nursing staff if you have not received special instructions.
- May continue to take regular medications, unless instructed by provider or nursing staff
- May continue to take NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin), Aspirin, and Tylenol, if needed
- Patients That are Diabetic
- Take ½ a dose of your diabetic medications the day before your procedure
- No dose the day of the procedure
- Stop Taking
- Iron pills or vitamins with iron
- Fish Oil
- Stop Eating
- Seeds, nuts, tomatoes, berries, multigrain breads
ONE DAY BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Start clear liquid diet. No solid foods, red or purple liquids, chewing gum, and alcohol.
- Bowel prep solution:
- Clenpiq contains two bottles. You will drink bottle 1 the night before the colonoscopy and bottle 2 the morning of the colonoscopy.
- BOTTLE 1: Start between 5-9 pm
- After finishing bottle 1, drink FIVE 8 oz. (upper line) cups of clear liquid over the next 5 hours.
- Nausea is common while drinking prep. If this occurs, stop drinking for 30 minutes before restarting. Walking around may help relieve nausea.
- To prevent irritation, you may apply Vaseline, Desitin, zinc oxide to the anal area. Reapply after each bowel movement. You may also want to use baby wipes or Tucks pads to help with irritation.
- Drink Plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration
DAY OF COLONOSCOPY
- Continue clear liquid diet–No Solid Food.
- May take blood pressure, heart, or seizure medication the morning of the test. Hold all other medication.Be sure to take the medication two hours prior to test.
- Five (5) hours prior to leaving home, drink BOTTLE 2:
- After finishing bottle 2, drink at least three (3) 8 oz. (upper line) cups of clear liquid. You may continue hydrating up to 2 hours before your colonoscopy.
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK TWO HOURS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL TIME. NO CHEWING GUM.
- Wear comfortable clothes; two-piece outfit is preferable.
- Leave valuables at home
- Arrive on time at the designated location with completed paperwork, photo ID, and insurance card.
- You must have a responsible adult drive you home. We recommend that they stay in the waiting room during the duration of your stay; which is approximately 90 minutes. If you do not have a ride arranged we will not be able to preform the procedure.