Esophageal Ultrasound (EUS) | Preparation Instructions
To ensure a successful exam, please follow all instructions carefully. Please bring a list of all your current medications, including any over-the-counter medications with you. If you must reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call 503-229-1883.
ONE WEEK BEFORE PROCEDURE
- Please notify our nursing staff if you have had any major health or medication changes since scheduling your procedure. This could affect your preparation instructions.
- Arrange for a licensed adult driver to take you home. By law, you may not drive for the rest of the day after your procedure. Public transportation is allowed with an adult escort.
- If you take any blood thinners, i.e. Coumadin, Plavix, Pradaxa, etc., please call our nursing staff; if you have not received special instructions.
- May continue to take regular medications, unless instructed by provider or nursing staff
- May continue to take NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin), Aspirin, and Tylenol, if needed
- Stop Taking
- Fish Oil
ONE DAY BEFORE PROCEDURE
- Patients that are Diabetic
- Evening Dose Only: Take ½ the dose of your diabetic medication(s) the day before your procedure
- No dose the day of the procedure
DAY OF PROCEDURE
- No solid food after midnight.
- May take blood pressure, heart, or seizure medication the morning of the test. Hold all other medication. Be sure to take medication two hours prior to test.
- Stop drinking liquids two (2) hours prior to procedure. No candy or chewing gum.
- Wear comfortable clothes; two-piece outfit is preferable.
- Leave valuables at home
- Arrive on time at the designated location with completed paperwork, photo ID, and insurance card.
- You must have a responsible adult drive you home. We recommend that he/she stay in the waiting room during the duration of your stay; which is approximately 90 minutes.