Flexible Sigmoidoscopy | Preparation Instructions
To ensure a successful exam, please follow all instructions carefully. Please bring a list of all your current medications, including any over-the-counter medications with you. If you must reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call 503-229-1883.
ONE WEEK BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Please notify our nursing staff if you have had any major health or medication changes since scheduling your procedure. This could affect your preparation instructions.
- If you are planning on receiving sedation medication during the procedure, you will need to arrange for a licensed adult driver to take you home. By law, you may not drive for the rest of the day after your procedure. Public transportation is allowed with an adult escort. You are allowed to drive yourself if you do not receive sedation medication.
- Purchase two (2) Fleet saline enemas. The enemas are over the counter and can be purchased at any pharmacy.
- If you take any blood thinners, i.e. Coumadin, Plavix, Pradaxa, etc., please call our nursing staff; if you have not received special instructions.
- May continue to take regular medications, unless instructed by provider or nursing staff
- May continue to take NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin), Aspirin, and Tylenol, if needed
- Stop Taking
- Iron pills or vitamins with iron
- Fish Oil
- Stop Eating
- Seeds, nuts, tomatoes, berries, breads with seeds or nuts
DAY BEFORE THE PROCEDURE
- Patients that are Diabetic
- Evening Dose Only: Take ½ the dose of your diabetic medication(s) the day before your procedure
- No dose the day of the procedure
DAY OF COLONOSCOPY
- May take blood pressure, heart, or seizure medication the morning of the test. Hold all other medication. Be sure to take medication two hours prior to test.
- If you are planning on receiving sedation mediation, nothing to eat six (6) hours prior to procedure and no liquids two (2) hours prior to procedure.
- One (1) hour prior to your procedure, administer two (2) Fleets enema. Allow the first to take effect prior to administering the second enema.
- Wear comfortable clothes; two-piece outfit is preferable.
- Leave valuables at home
- Arrive on time at the designated location with completed paperwork, photo ID, and insurance card.
- If you are planning on receiving sedation mediation, you must have a responsible adult drive you home. We recommend that he/she stay in the waiting room during the duration of your stay; which is approximately 90 minutes.