GaviLyte | Colonoscopy Preparation Instructions
To ensure a successful exam, please follow all instructions carefully. Please bring a list of all your current medications, including any over-the-counter medications with you. If you must reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call 503-229-1883.
ONE WEEK BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Please notify our nursing staff if you have had any major health or medication changes since scheduling your procedure. This could affect your preparation instructions.
- Arrange for a licensed adult driver to take you home. By law, you may not drive for the rest of the day after your procedure. Public transportation is allowed with an adult escort.
- Pick up the prescribed bowel preparation kit at your pharmacy. We recommend that you call your pharmacy prior to picking up the prep to ensure they have the prescription.
- If you take any blood thinners, i.e. Coumadin, Plavix, Pradaxa, etc., please call our nursing staff if you have not received special instructions.
- May continue to take regular medications, unless instructed by provider or nursing staff
- May continue to take NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin), Aspirin, and Tylenol, if needed
- Stop Taking
- Iron pills or vitamins with iron
- Fish Oil
- Stop Eating
- Seeds, nuts, tomatoes, berries, breads with seeds or nuts
ONE DAY BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Start clear liquid diet. No solid foods, red or purple liquids, chewing gum, and alcohol.
- Mix bowel prep solution:
- Open flavor packet and pour into the container.
- Fill the container with lukewarm water to the fill line and put into the refrigerator to chill.
- Begin drinking the first half of the bowel prep solution around 4:00 – 6:00 pm. Drink 8 oz. every 10-15 minutes until first half is gone. *Drinking through a straw may help with the taste. You may also suck on hard candy while drinking the solution.
- After finishing half of the prep solution, drink two (2) 8 oz. glasses of water.
- Nausea is common while drinking prep. If this occurs, stop drinking for 30 minutes before restarting. Walking around may help relieve nausea.
- Bowel movements usually occur within 3 hours of starting prep, but may take longer. It is recommended to stay near a restroom at this point.
- If bowel movements have not started within three (3) hours of starting prep, then an over-the-counter suppository (Dulcolax) is advised.
- Bowel movements should be watery. If not, drink a bottle of magnesium citrate.
- Patients that are Diabetic
- Evening Dose Only: Take ½ the dose of your diabetic medication(s) the day before your procedure
- No dose the day of the procedure
DAY OF COLONOSCOPY
- Continue clear liquid diet–No Solid Food.
- May take blood pressure, heart, or seizure medication the morning of the test. Hold all other medication. Be sure to take medication two hours prior to test.
- Five (5) hours prior to leaving home, start the second half of the prep solution. Drink 8 oz. every 10-15 minutes until gone.
- Once finished, drink two 8 oz. glasses of water.
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK TWO HOURS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL TIME. NO CHEWING GUM.
- Wear comfortable clothes; two-piece outfit is preferable.
- Leave valuables at home
- Arrive on time at the designated location with completed paperwork, photo ID, and insurance card.
- You must have a responsible adult drive you home. We recommend that he/she stay in the waiting room during the duration of your stay; which is approximately 90 minutes. If you do not have a ride arranged we will not be able to preform the procedure.