Miralax | Colonoscopy Preparation Instructions
To ensure a successful exam, please follow all instructions carefully. Please bring a list of all your current medications, including any over-the-counter medications with you. If you must reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call 503-229-1883.
ONE WEEK BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Please notify our nursing staff if you have had any major health or medication changes since scheduling your procedure. This could affect your preparation instructions.
- Arrange for a licensed adult driver to take you home. By law, you may not drive for the rest of the day after your procedure. Public transportation is allowed with an adult escort.
- Prepare for a clear liquid diet. Purchase clear pulp-free juices (apple, white grape, white cranberry), sports drinks, broth, popsicles, hard candy, coffee and tea without milk or cream—NO RED or PURPLE Liquids
- If you take any blood thinners, i.e. Coumadin, Plavix, Pradaxa, etc., please call our nursing staff if you have not received special instructions.
- May continue to take regular medications, unless instructed by provider or nursing staff
- May continue to take NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin), Aspirin, and Tylenol, if needed
- Stop Taking
- Iron pills or vitamins with iron
- Fish Oil
- Stop Eating
- Seeds, nuts, tomatoes, berries, multigrain bread.
- 5mg Bisacodyl (Ducolax) tablets (No prescription needed) – Only 2 tablets needed for preparation
- One bottle of Miralax 238gm (No prescription needed)
- One bottle of lemon lime magnesium citrate (If you have kidney disease do not use magnesium citrate, you will skip this step)
- One 64 oz. bottle of Gatorade, DO NOT CHILL (NO RED or PURPLE) (If you are diabetic buy sugar free Gatorade)
TWO DAYS BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Take both (2) bisacodyl (Dulcolax) tablets one hour prior to bedtime with 16 oz of water or another clear liquid
ONE DAY BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Start clear liquid diet. No solid foods, red or purple liquids, chewing gum, and alcohol.
- Mix the 238 gm bottle of Miralax with 64 oz of “G” (Gatorade). Shake the solution until the MIRALAX has completely dissolved. DO NOT CHILL.
- Start drinking prep between 4-6pm
- Drink 8 oz every 20-30 minutes until HALF of the solution is complete. If you become nauseated please take a long break 30-60 min. Then attempt to resume and drink at a slower rate. If this fails, PLEASE CALL OUR OFFICE
- Three (3) hours after drinking the first half of the bowel prep, drink an entire bottle of magnesium citrate. If you have kidney disease do not use magnesium citrate, skip this step.
- Patients that are Diabetic
- Evening Dose Only: Take ½ the dose of your diabetic medication(s) the day before your procedure
- No dose the day of the procedure
DAY OF COLONOSCOPY
- Continue clear liquid diet. No solid foods, red or purple liquids, chewing gum, and alcohol.
- May take blood pressure, heart, or seizure medication the morning of the test. Hold all other medication. Be sure to take medication two hours prior to test.
- Five (5) hours prior to leaving home, start the second half of the prep solution. Drink 8 oz every 10-15 minutes until gone. Solution must be finished 2 hours prior to your procedure.
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK TWO HOURS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL TIME. NO CHEWING GUM.
- Wear comfortable clothes; two-piece outfit is preferable.
- Leave valuables at home
- Arrive on time at the designated location with completed paperwork, photo ID, and insurance card.
- You must have a responsible adult drive you home. Though they may not remain in the waiting room during the procedure, they will need to be somewhere close by as they will be called to come pick you up once your procedure is finished; which is approximately 90 minutes. If you do not have a ride arranged we will not be able to perform the procedure.