Miralax | Colonoscopy Preparation Instructions (Afternoon Procedure)
To ensure a successful exam, please follow all instructions carefully. Please bring a list of all your current medications, including any over-the-counter medications with you. If you must reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call 503-229-1883.
ONE WEEK BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Please notify our nursing staff if you have had any major health or medication changes since scheduling your procedure. This could affect your preparation instructions.
- Arrange for a licensed adult driver to take you home. By law, you may not drive for the rest of the day after your procedure. Public transportation is allowed with an adult escort.
- Prepare for a clear liquid diet. Purchase clear pulp-free juices (apple, white grape, white cranberry), sports drinks, broth, popsicles, hard candy, coffee and tea without milk or cream—NO RED or PURPLE Liquids
- If you take any blood thinners, i.e. Coumadin, Plavix, Pradaxa, etc., please call our nursing staff if you have not received special instructions.
- May continue to take regular medications, unless instructed by provider or nursing staff
- May continue to take NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin), Aspirin, and Tylenol, if needed
- Stop Taking
- Iron pills or vitamins with iron
- Fish Oil
- Stop Eating
- Seeds, nuts, tomatoes, berries, multigrain bread.
- 5mg Bisacodyl (Ducolax) tablets (No prescription needed) – Only 2 tablets needed for preparation
- One bottle of Miralax 238gm (No prescription needed)
- One 64 oz. bottle of Gatorade, DO NOT CHILL (NO RED or PURPLE) (If you are diabetic buy sugar free Gatorade)
ONE DAY BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Start clear liquid diet. No solid foods, red or purple liquids, chewing gum, and alcohol.
- Patients that are Diabetic
- Evening Dose Only: Take ½ the dose of your diabetic medication(s) the day before your procedure
- No dose the day of the procedure
DAY OF COLONOSCOPY
- Continue clear liquid diet. No solid foods, red or purple liquids, chewing gum, and alcohol.
- Seven (7) hours before your procedure, take TWO Bisacodyl tablets with 16 oz. of water.
- One hour after taking the Bisacodyl tablets mix the 238gm bottle of Miralax with your 64 oz. bottle of Gatorade. Shake the solution until the Miralax is dissolved. DO NOT CHILL.
- Drink 8 oz. every 15 minutes until the entire solution is gone. Solution must be finished 2 hours prior to your procedure.
- May take blood pressure, heart, or seizure medication the morning of the test. Hold all other medication. Be sure to take medication two hours prior to test.
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK TWO HOURS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL TIME. NO CHEWING GUM.
- Wear comfortable clothes; two-piece outfit is preferable.
- Leave valuables at home
- Arrive on time at the designated location with completed paperwork, photo ID, and insurance card.
- You must have a responsible adult drive you home. If you do not have a ride arranged we will not be able to preform the procedure.