Nulytely | Colonoscopy Preparation Instructions
To ensure a successful exam, please follow all instructions carefully. Please bring a list of all your current medications, including any over-the-counter medications with you. If you must reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call 503-229-1883.
ONE WEEK BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Please notify our nursing staff if you have had any major health or medication changes since scheduling your procedure. This could affect your preparation instructions.
- Arrange for a licensed adult driver to take you home. By law, you may not drive for the rest of the day after your procedure. Public transportation is allowed with an adult escort.
- Pick up the prescribed bowel preparation kit at your pharmacy. We recommend that you call your pharmacy prior to picking up the prep to ensure they have the prescription.
- If you take any blood thinners, i.e. Coumadin, Plavix, Pradaxa, etc., please call our nursing staff if you have not received special instructions.
- May continue to take regular medications, unless instructed by provider or nursing staff
- May continue to take NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin), Aspirin, and Tylenol, if needed
- Stop Taking
- Iron pills or vitamins with iron
- Fish Oil
- Stop Eating
- Seeds, nuts, tomatoes, berries, breads with seeds or nuts
ONE DAY BEFORE COLONOSCOPY
- Start clear liquid diet. No solid foods, red or purple liquids, chewing gum, and alcohol.
- Mix bowel prep solution:
- Open flavor packet and pour into the container.
- Fill the container with lukewarm water to the fill line and put into the refrigerator to chill.
- Begin drinking the first half of the bowel prep solution around 4:00 – 6:00 pm. Drink 8 oz. every 10-15 minutes until first half is gone. *Drinking through a straw may help with the taste. You may also suck on hard candy while drinking the solution.
- After finishing half of the prep solution, drink two (2) 8 oz. glasses of water.
- Nausea is common while drinking prep. If this occurs, stop drinking for 30 minutes before restarting. Walking around may help relieve nausea.
- Bowel movements usually occur within 3 hours of starting prep, but may take longer. It is recommended to stay near a restroom at this point.
- If bowel movements have not started within three (3) hours of starting prep, then an over-the-counter suppository (Dulcolax) is advised.
- Bowel movements should be watery. If not, drink a bottle of magnesium citrate.
- Patients that are Diabetic
- Evening Dose Only: Take ½ the dose of your diabetic medication(s) the day before your procedure
- No dose the day of the procedure
DAY OF COLONOSCOPY
- Continue clear liquid diet–No Solid Food.
- May take blood pressure, heart, or seizure medication the morning of the test. Hold all other medication. Be sure to take medication two hours prior to test.
- Five (5) hours prior to leaving home, start the second half of the prep solution. Drink 8 oz. every 10-15 minutes until gone.
- Once finished, drink two 8 oz. glasses of water.
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK TWO HOURS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL TIME. NO CHEWING GUM.
- Wear comfortable clothes; two-piece outfit is preferable.
- Leave valuables at home
- Arrive on time at the designated location with completed paperwork, photo ID, and insurance card.
- You must have a responsible adult drive you home. Though they may not remain in the waiting room during the procedure, they will need to be somewhere close by as they will be called to come pick you up once your procedure is finished; which is approximately 90 minutes. If you do not have a ride arranged we will not be able to perform the procedure.