24-hour pH Study | Preparation Instructions
To ensure a successful exam, please follow all instructions carefully. Please bring a list of all your current medications, including any over-the-counter medications with you. If you must reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call 503-229-1883.
FIVE DAYS BEFORE TEST
- Please notify our nursing staff if you have had any major health or medication changes since scheduling your procedure.
- If you have been directed to stop taking your stomach medications, i.e. Aciphex, Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, etc., please stop taking them 5 days prior to your procedure. If you are unsure which medications to stop, please call our nursing staff at 503-229-7137.
- If you have not been directed to stop your stomach medications continue to take them as directed.
- Do not take over-the-counter acid reducing medications. However, you may take antacids, i.e. Mylanta, Maalox, TUMS, etc. You will need to keep a diary stating medication and time taken. Be sure to bring the diary with you to the study.
DAY OF TEST
- No solid foods after midnight
- May have clear liquids up to two (2) hours prior to study
- You will be going home with a small tube in your nose. After 24 hours, you will return to the study facility to have the tube removed. Be sure to bring your completed diary.