Capsule Endoscopy | Preparation Instructions
To ensure a successful exam, please follow all instructions carefully. Please bring a list of all your current medications, including any over-the-counter medications with you. If you must reschedule or cancel your appointment, please call 503-229-1883.
ONE WEEK BEFORE CAPSULE ENDOSCOPY
- Please notify our nursing staff if you have had any major health or medication changes since scheduling your procedure. This could affect your preparation instructions.
- Pick up the prescribed bowel preparation kit at your pharmacy. We recommend that you call your pharmacy prior to picking up the prep to ensure they have the prescription.
- Purchase Simethicone (Gas Ex) Chewable tablets.
- Purchase clear pulp-free juices (apple, white grape, white cranberry), sports drinks, broth, popsicles, hard candy, coffee and tea without milk or cream—NO Red or Purple Liquids
- Stop Taking
- Iron pills or vitamins with iron
- Fish Oil
- Stop Eating
- Seeds, nuts, tomatoes, berries, multigrain breads
ONE DAY BEFORE CAPSULE ENDOSCOPY
- No tobacco products 24 hours prior test
- Start clear liquid diet after lunch. No solid foods, red or purple liquids, chewing gum, and alcohol.
- Male patients will need to shave six inches above and below the navel.
- No liquids after 10:00 pm. You may drink a sip of water to take regular evening medications.
- Drink ½ liter (16 oz.) of bowel prep solution around 6:00 pm. *Drinking through a straw may help with the taste. You may also suck on hard candy while drinking the solution.
- After finishing half of the prep solution, drink two (2) 8 oz. glasses of water.
- Nausea is common while drinking prep. If this occurs, stop drinking for 30 minutes before restarting. Walking around may help relieve nausea.
- Bowel movements usually occur within 3 hours of starting prep, but may take longer. It is recommended to stay near a restroom at this point.
- Patients that are Diabetic
- Evening Dose Only: Take ½ the dose of your diabetic medication(s) the day before your procedure
- No dose the day of the procedure
DAY OF CAPSULE ENDOSCOPY
- Nothing to eat or drink. No candy or chewing gum.
- Morning of capsule endoscopy, chew two Simthicone (Gas Ex) tablets. Do not take any other medications.
- Wear comfortable clothes; two-piece outfit is preferable.
- Arrive on time at the designated location with completed paperwork, photo ID, and insurance card.
AFTER INGESTING CAPSULE
- Nothing to eat or drink for at least two hours after ingesting capsule
- You may start clear liquids (apple, white grape, white cranberry), sports drinks, broth, popsicles, hard candy, coffee and tea without milk or cream) two hours after ingestion.
- You may have a light snack four after ingestion.
- You must stay away from any source of powerful electromagnetic fields, such as a MRI or amateur (HAM) radio, until the capsule is excreted.
- The capsule endoscopy should last approximately 8 hours. During this time, try to avoid any strenuous activity. Do not bend or stoop during the testing period.
- Avoid sudden movements and banging of the Data Recorder.
- During the testing period, you will need to confirm every 15 minutes that the small green/blue light on top of the recorder is blinking. Please contact our office if the blinking stops.
- Record the time and the nature of any events, such as: eating, drinking, and unusual sensations. Be sure to bring these notes when you return the equipment.
- Call our office if you experience abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, or other concerning symptoms.
AFTER COMPLETING CAPSULE ENDOSCOPY
- Be sure to return all equipment. Instruction will be given at the beginning of the test.
- Contact our office if you cannot positively verify the excretion of the capsule, or if you develop unexplained abdominal pain or vomiting.